Friday, 9 August 2019

Gallery Go: Latest App to Join the Go Series!

Gallery Go
The whole idea behind Google’s Go option is to be able to use apps with low data packs. As a new addition to the pack, Google has recently launched Gallery Go. Again, this app just like its siblings does not require much data or storage to work. The Go app, launched at Google’s third Google for Nigeria event, is available on devices running Android 8.1 and later. Another sore point is that management of photos will be available to users only in certain markets and not everywhere. As a side note Google is also planning to bring Bolo, a reading tutor app, to Ghana and Nigeria.

More about Google Gallery Go-


Gallery Go as revealed by Google in a blog post will use machine learning to organize your photos and will also work offline too. This makes it an excellent substitute for the normal Google photos app, especially on low powered devices.

The app may also appear as a pre- installed app on Google Go edition phones, even if there are only two of them at present- Itel S15 AndItel A55.

Gallery Go is meant to do all that the normal Google Photos app can do such as help you easily locate photos, edit them and manage them, all with the added bonus of using less data or cloud backup.

For first time users, the great thing about Google Gallery Go is that it plays well with SD cards making it easy to transfer photos between phones to memory cards.

As for the editing options- all the basic ones such as crop and rotate are present with some auto enhanced features as well. For low powered phones the icing on the cake is that the app is only 10 MB in size, leaving plenty of room for other things. Other things such as more room for your own photos.

A thing with low powered phones is just that – they’re low powered, any apps will slow down the phone as they take up a lot of space. But an exception is the Google Gallery Go app weighing in at only 10 MB.

Availability of Google Gallery Go: 


Google Gallery Go is only available on Android devices running on 8.1 OS and later. You can get your hands on the app or install it from the Google Play Store.

Apparently users aren’t happy with the 8.1 OS compatibility thing. Many whose phones run on earlier versions don’t have the space to install Google’s photos app and the new Google Gallery Go app is not backward compatible as well.

Even though Google seems to be targeting Go apps for their Go phones, they seem to have forgotten about smartphones running on version older to 8.1 or other low powered Android devices.

To put everything in numbers, as per Google’s very own dashboard (last updated 7th May) only 25.8% of Android devices run on 8.1 OS or later. What about the rest 74.2%?

No comments:

Post a comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.